My first time visiting the Sunshine Coast was filled with food and beer. I'm sure you want to break down so here we go!
You hike bro?
- Soames Hill - It's a relatively easy hike, the duration is shorter than the Deep Cove Quarry Rock Hike. There are several spots to look out to the water and the trails are pretty clear.
Staying in a loft
- We stayed at the Warehouse Loft. Norman greeted us at the door when we arrived. Apparently, the building used to be a filming warehouse and converted into a home. The garden is absolutely beautiful and must be fully booked during the warmer months. This unit has two beds, one washroom, full kitchen, free wifi but no TV (you won't need it). One criticism is that the shower head feels a bit weak if that's something that is important to you.
Video walkthrough: https://youtu.be/k-XTIND0ZUs
- Smitty's Oyster House - Just steps away from the Airbnb loft, it's probably the most popular restaurant in Gibsons. Fresh oysters like Kushi and Royal Miyagis, they are creamy and the highlight is the house made cocktail sauce. Another must try are the oyster po-boys. Fries are also amazing and highly recommend it. We did visit it a second time during our trip and tried their chilli lime shrimp, it was pretty good.
- Tapworks Gibsons - Great upstairs patio with covered and uncovered areas. The nice indoor area downstairs. They offer a couple of IPAs and experimental brews. Their beers are excellent and the people who are there are even better! We went 3 times and we were blown away by how chill this place was. They serve some food like flatbreads, I didn't order it but it smelled great from a couple of tables away.
First dinner: TACOS
- Lunitas Mexican Eatery - It's a relatively small restaurant and I would suggest making a reservation. We lucked out and got a table and ordered the taco flight. Unfortunately, the flight itself is not a true flight because they said it slows down their kitchen. The flight would be 5 tacos for $20 but all the same. How is that a "flight"? So we opted to order 4 different tacos for $20 and it seemed pretty quick to me. The tacos were good but I wasn't blown away. I personally would not recommend this restaurant based on the taco flight situation.
- The Airbnb gave us 4 coupons for Black Bean Cafe down the street. The coupons give one free coffee and several options like a pastry or a cream cheese bagel or toast with homemade jam. The apple muffin was delicious, we also ordered a breakfast sandwich but the eggs were a bit salty. I did see in the corner of my eye a super glazed cinnamon bun (Someone please try this and let me know). A pretty chill place for a quick bite.
Craft Cider in Sechelt
- Brickers Cider - My first ever cidery visit and it was pleasant. The ciders lean on the dry side so very little sugar content. I recommend getting a flight but please note that you're only limited to one flight per person per day. Recommendations: Frombo. It's a pretty cute spot so I definitely recommend a short drive to check it out
More Craft Beer
- Persephone - A lovely spot and a wall full of beers. The options outnumber the ones that Tapworks has. Beers are great here but again, they don't serve pints, they only serve in flights. No limits on the flights though. We also ordered a pizza and it was so fresh. From the sausage to the cheese, it's making my mouth water.
Best meal in town
- Sushi Bar Nagomi - Fresh fresh fresh and super authentic. We ordered a sake flight - that got is drunk and we shared it. We ordered a roll, assorted nigiri, and agedeshi eggplant. I would skip the eggplant next time but everything else was amazing. The toro was amazing and the deep fried prawn heads were SO GOOD. Price is on the moderate to high end but it's a highly recommended spot from me.
We left pretty early the next day as our check out was 11:00 am. We managed to visit the Drift Cafe which offers brunch. We both ordered egg benny's and the hollandaise was very good (not very acidic) but the highlight for me was the fried hashbrowns. We also ordered mimosas but I don't recommend them. They have a nice patio, service was good, food came out quick.
Gibsons was a good weekend getaway, the ferry was quick and painless. Hopefully, you find something useful in this post and don't hesitate to comment or reach out to me on Instagram @BirryRam.